60 Seconds With…. Thomas Gillan
We had 60 seconds to ask Thomas Gillan, Chief Financial Officer, some quick-fire questions. Here’s what he had to say:
- How has your first month been at Traveltek? All that you would want in a new job and in a new sector – interesting, motivating, challenging and rather busy! The team have been amazing and very welcoming, a good sign in terms of culture and I need to thank them for their patience whilst I continue to attempt to decode one of the many travel and technology acronyms.
- What industry were you in before you joined Traveltek? I spent 8 years in investment, working with high-growth high-impact companies across many sectors. Previous to that I worked in corporate finance after training as an accountant – but I try and avoid disclosing that!
- Where are you from? I was born and raised in Edinburgh and it remains one of my favourite cities in the world. Great history, culture, and the weather….not so much.
- Where is your favourite holiday destination? California…we did the Big Sur a few years back and it’s an incredible place. That might just be because we had no kids then and we’re now staring at Centre Parcs for the next 10 years.
- What is your favourite movie? It’s a Wonderful Life. Essential on Christmas Eve!
- What is your favourite food? I’m not fussy, to be honest, but if pushed would have to go for a curry.
- What do you think is going to be the best thing about working in the travel technology industry? The sector is fast-paced and I think will look quite different in 10-20 years. We’ve now seen the internet platforms mature and disrupt the traditional sector but I think the cool stuff will come from smaller providers who can innovate and implement quickly. Like many sectors, AI, data, and augmented reality appear to be the areas which could see explosive growth. Whether it’s consumers being able to visualise themselves in hotel rooms before booking or data insights informing market trends – it’s going to be an exciting industry in the coming years.